Follow my journey as I serve as a pilot with Mission Aviation Fellowship in Papua New Guinea.

Sunday 5 July 2020

Two big rocks

As a farewell to Mareeba (for now) I went for two final bush walks, both at Davies Creek. Both involved a rock!

Turtle Rock

A good walk if you've got half a day, which I did last Sunday afternoon. You can either walk up to the top and back the same way, or do the loop which is a bit longer. I did the latter and it took about 2.5 hrs, including about half an hour at the top taking photos and enjoying the views.

It never ceases to amaze me how such big granite boulders can be found at the top of a hill!

View back towards Davies Creek

The aptly named 'Turtle Rock'

View of Kahlpahlim Rock from Turtle Rock


Kahlpahlim Rock

Yes, I have done this walk before, but I have decided it is my favourite out of all the walks I have done on the Tablelands. Yesterday it was very popular as well - I must have encountered over a dozen people on the track (mostly at the top). I started at 9:30, had lunch at the top, and was back at the car by 2:00.


Steep part of the track through open eucalypt forest

View over Lake Morris and the coast (including Cairns city)

View over the Tablelands north of Mareeba

Arty shot of the day (cell tower solar panel installation)

Heading back down

Kahlpahlim Rock and skyline from Mareeba

No comments:

Post a Comment