Follow my journey as I serve as a pilot with Mission Aviation Fellowship in Papua New Guinea.

Friday 24 July 2020

Week 2 in Timor-Leste

Marcus and I finished visiting all the airstrips and then consolidated my training by flying whatever medevac requests came along and revisiting other places. All up we went to each airstrip at least twice. On Thursday 23 July I had my line check, which was a real medevac from Suai, a small town on the south coast.
On Friday I acted as host for a group of homeschooling families who came for a visit, and later that day got to fly my first medevac as pilot-in-command.

The hot water system still hasn't been fixed but I'm not feeling too stressed about it. Not too long ago there were people in New Zealand - and there probably still are today - who didn't have hot water on tap. I can still make hot water for washing by boiling the kettle and mixing it with cold water which is on tap... (After the missionary training course I went on in Melbourne, I did a bit of self-conditioning at home by showering out of a bucket for a month. So it's really not a big deal, and now it's just become one of the many quirks of living in this house.)

In other news I am out of quarantine! My first trip to the supermarket on Wednesday was less of a shock than I was expecting, so that was good.

Line check flight with Marcus (before collecting our passengers at Suai)

The obligatory handshake photo following a successful check

Showing homeschool kids one of our planes

With Aldo, one of our local Timorese staff, on my first medevac as PIC

No comments:

Post a Comment