Follow my journey as I serve as a pilot with Mission Aviation Fellowship in Papua New Guinea.

Saturday 12 December 2020

Last flight in Timor-Leste

My time in Timor-Leste has drawn to a close. The week that Andy and I were due to fly out (more on that later), the engineers were in the final stages of completing their work on our damaged aeroplane. Before it could be signed off, it needed to be taken for a 'return to service' flight.

Engineer John was going to come with me, to record key numbers from the engine monitors while I put the aircraft through its paces. The flight needed to be at least two hours long to allow the temperatures to fully stabilise. I asked him if there was anywhere that he would like to go, and since he said he had never been to the south coast, I mapped out a quick route from Dili to Suai to Viqueque to Dili. I was keen to fly through the valley from Ainaro to Same - I'd driven through there with Aldo on the Suai fuel swap trip, and knew it would be spectacular from the air.

Here are some pics:

Looking south through the Bobonaro gap, 7500 ft

View from 12,000 ft (testing the turbo response)

Impressive gorges in the Ainaro valley

Enjoying the flight

No comments:

Post a Comment