Follow my journey as I serve as a pilot with Mission Aviation Fellowship in Papua New Guinea.

Sunday 14 October 2018

VOR/DME, ILS, RNAV - tick!

I sat (and passed) my instrument renewal flight test today. Thankfully the weather co-operated - the last few days have been unsuitable with a low freezing level and extensive cloud and rain. It's always best to avoid turning your plane into a popsicle! Today the freezing level was high enough - about 4000 ft according to the forecast (but actually about 6000 ft) and there was no cloud along our intended track. There was a pretty stiff southeasterly though (about 30 kts at 3000 ft), which made for plenty of bumps getting in and out of Paraparam, but apart from that it all went pretty well. I also enjoyed flying with Paul and getting feedback from an 'external' person on how I'm doing.

For those who care about the details... I opted to do the VOR/DME approach at Ohakea, followed by the ILS, then came back to Paraparam for the RNAV. These use three different instrument systems on the aircraft. The VOR and ILS use signals from radio transmitters on the ground, while the RNAV uses GPS. ILS (instrument landing system) is a precision approach and this was the first time I had been tested on it. Being at Paraparam we are quite fortunate to have two aerodromes nearby that are equipped with ILS: Wellington and Ohakea. I had done two ILS training flights into Wellington a couple of months ago, and both times we had to land and then hold on the ground for half an hour for a departure clearance (which is an eternity when you're sitting there with the prop running, watching the $$ mount up...). To use Ohakea at the weekend I had to ask the air force for permission, which was granted without too much fuss. One of the conditions was that I phone them on the day to advise my intentions, and they even offered to ensure the tower was on watch for while I was there, which was a pleasant surprise since normally they are off watch on Sundays.

Below is my GPS track for the entire flight - the logbook entry for what we did reads:
PP AGAXA3 KAMET H467 FOXTN H313 OH VOR/DME 09 via arc, miss app, vectors ILS/DME 09 miss app, H313 FOXTN H467 KAMET 1H RNAV 16 PP


No comments:

Post a Comment