Follow my journey as I serve as a pilot with Mission Aviation Fellowship in Papua New Guinea.

Tuesday 10 August 2021

Gaining perspective... from movies

Lately I've been on a bit of an emotional roller-coaster waiting for news about the NZ travel bubble. Some days it's been hard to stay motivated as I once again contemplate the MIQ system.

But the other week, I was driving back from church in Atherton and marvelling at the array of colours painted across the sky from the setting sun, and thinking, this isn't such a bad place to have to stay for a while longer.

I'll normally watch a couple of DVDs on weekend nights, and over the last few weeks while enjoying some of the movies in my collection, have gained some perspective on how my current situation isn't that bad. Sure, I don't know when I'll be able to go back to NZ. But at least...

I’m not stuck on another planet with no way to get home
(
The Martian)


I haven’t been kidnapped by Somalian pirates
(
Captain Phillips)


I haven’t been forced into slavery with no hope of freedom
(
12 Years A Slave)


My name hasn’t been drawn from a ballot to fight other people to the death
(
The Hunger Games)


I’m not drifting in the middle of the ocean in a lifeboat with a tiger
(
Life of Pi)


I don’t have a degenerative neurological disease
(
The Theory of Everything)


My mission is not to evade all the villains of Middle Earth
and risk certain death from creatures ten times my size
(
Lord of the Rings)

No comments:

Post a Comment