Follow my journey as I serve as a pilot with Mission Aviation Fellowship in Papua New Guinea.

Sunday 29 August 2021

A weekend in Chillagoe

Last weekend I took another mini-break and headed west to Chillagoe. It's a mining town that we visit quite often in our navigation flight training, being only 30 mins flight time from Mareeba, but it is also well-known for the numerous caves around the place.

There are three caves where guided tours are offered, so I decided to do them all over two days. I stayed at the Chillagoe eco-Lodge, which also offers an observatory tour that was booked out on the night I was there. But I had a stunning view of the night sky all the same.

First chamber in Trezkinn cave

Delicate formations

The pièce de résistance of Trezkinn cave: 'the chandelier'

Balancing Rock

The road out of town...

Group tour at Royal Arch

'Picnic cave' at Royal Arch

Sea fossils encased in limestone

Royal Arch cave

The old smelter site

Donna cave

One of the many passageways in Donna cave

Huge columns in Donna cave

Weathered limestone outcrops = caves

No comments:

Post a Comment