Follow my journey as I serve as a pilot with Mission Aviation Fellowship in Papua New Guinea.

Tuesday 8 October 2019

Stoney Creek Falls and Crystal Cascades

Yesterday (Mon 7 Oct) was a public holiday in Queensland, so I decided to tick a couple of short walks off my list.

The first was Stoney Creek. Yes, I have walked to Stoney Creek before, but the section above the falls (which cannot be seen from any point on the track). This time I started at the bottom and attempted to walk up.

The first part of the walk is a track from the carpark up to a weir, which took around 20 minutes. Since it's currently the end of the dry season, the water level is pretty low and it looked possible to continue up the creek. There were a few deep pools along the way which looked very inviting. There were also a number of significant obstacles in the form of large rocks and steep sections, which thankfully I was able to navigate both up and down. I made it all the way to the falls at the railway viaduct. But I don't think I would risk going again by myself.
From the weir to the falls was about an hour each way.

Waterfall and swimming hole just below the weir

Rock-hopping further upstream

Railway viaduct and Stoney Creek Falls

The second walk I did was at Crystal Cascades. This time the track was a four-lane paved highway, and was very popular with people picnicking and swimming in the river.
I was keen to do the Copperlode Dam track but it was closed for maintenance. Another time!

Crystal Cascades

Finally, because I could, I drove up the Barron Gorge to have a look. It was pretty impressive. (Note this is downstream from the Barron Falls.)

Powerhouse at Barron Gorge

No comments:

Post a Comment