Follow my journey as I serve as a pilot with Mission Aviation Fellowship in Papua New Guinea.

Friday 24 April 2020

Bare Hill rock art (Bunda Dibandji)

I was keen to go for a walk today, so headed to Davies Creek national park to do the Turtle Rock circuit. However the track starts and ends at the upper campsites, which are currently closed because of COVID-19 restrictions. I'm not sure if the closure only applies to camping, or to day walks as well, but I decided to obey the signage and not go up - Turtle Rock will still be there in the future.

On my way back out I passed the mountain bike park (which is open), and directly opposite was a 4wd track that I'd seen before when I did the Kahlpahlim Rock track. It had a sign saying 'Rock art site 5.2 km'. I wasn't about to take my car on the track, but figured I was here and 5.2 km wasn't too far to walk. I hadn't heard of any rock art sites near Mareeba, so it sounded like something different to go and explore.

After the 5.2 km along the 4wd track there was an information board and a sign for a walking track that goes up to the galleries. All up it took me about 1.5 hrs each way; I had lunch at the galleries.


The parks service had recently done a controlled burn

Steps up to the rock art galleries

Rock art

The track runs next to Bridle Creek for some distance

No comments:

Post a Comment