Follow my journey as I serve as a pilot with Mission Aviation Fellowship in Papua New Guinea.

Sunday 16 December 2018

Unfortunate events

The last couple of weeks have been trying, to say the least. From the Bible we know that there is an ongoing battle between good and bad spiritual forces, and I was certainly feeling it recently! However, after the first couple of events it somehow got easier to cope with what came next, as I was reminded that God will not allow anything to happen to us that we can't handle.

"He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the Lord, 'He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.'" (Ps. 91:1-2)

Here is a list of what happened.

Tuesday morning, 4 Dec: I woke up to find the power was off for no apparent reason. I rang the electricity company to ask them to fix it; it was sorted out by the afternoon.

Overnight Tuesday into Wednesday: Just after midnight my hot water cylinder burst. I was unable to turn the water off so called my parents (in between handling buckets and mopping up) and they were able to come and help call a plumber, clean up etc. The cylinder was replaced the next day.

Overnight Wednesday 5 Dec: My mum was rushed to hospital with what turned out to be meningitis. Thankfully she responded well to treatment. She was in isolation for a few days and was in hospital for a little over a week until she went home on Friday 14 Dec.

Friday 7 Dec: My colleague and I took our cars in for maintenance (so we could share a ride to work). When we went to collect them, while crossing the road on foot we were nearly hit by a car speeding down the median strip.

Monday 10 Dec: We had a fire at work in the roof space of the building next to mine. Everyone was evacuated and told to go home. I had left my bag in my office with keys etc. in it, so had to leave the car behind. Due to chemical hazards and concerns about asbestos, we were not allowed to return until 14 Dec.

Despite all these things, I had a sense of security knowing that God is in control. Each one of these could have been worse - for example, if the hot water cylinder had burst while I was at work or away for the weekend. A number of people commented that this could be good preparation for the difficulties I will face when I go to the mission field!

"Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth."
The Lord Almighty is with us; the God of Jacob is our fortress. Selah" (Ps. 46:10-11)

No comments:

Post a Comment