Follow my journey as I serve as a pilot with Mission Aviation Fellowship in Papua New Guinea.

Tuesday 15 May 2018

The preparation

(Start here: The beginning)

This part is perhaps best told in pictures!

My first step was to get my PPL current again. I had my first refresher lesson in May 2016.

Taking part in a forced landing competition, June 2016

By November I felt I was ready - technically and spiritually - to take the next step of faith and ask my instructor about doing a CPL.

Cue another 6 theory exams and another 100 hrs of flying, including 20 hours of rather long cross-countries. I'm not complaining; it was a great way to see the country!

On the ground at the Porangahau airstrip as part of my CPL cross country flight test, May 2017

Next was the CPL flight test...


... then single engine instrument rating (which involved another 30 hours flying and three more theory exams).


From here my plan was to prepare myself as best I could for the MAF flight assessment, which was to be conducted in a C206. This was a scary prospect, as up to that time most of my flying had been in either a C152 or C172.

For those who aren't familiar with the different aircraft types, here is a quick run-down:
Aircraft # seats Engine power Cruise speed
C1522100 bhp95 kts
C1724180 bhp110 kts
(C1824230 bhp135 kts)
C2066300 bhp120 kts

As you can see, the C206 would be the largest aircraft I had flown, both in terms of physical size and engine power.
On top of that, I had been told to expect some MAF-style components to the assessment, including navigation and landing on tight airstrips.

The first box to tick off was to get some experience flying an aircraft with a bigger engine. One of the Kapiti aero club members made his C182 available for hire in Nov 2017, so I got a type rating straightaway and took it for a few cross-country flights, clocking up about 10 hours in the process.

Taking some colleagues to New Plymouth, Dec 2017

I also went down to Blenheim to learn some strip flying at Marlborough Aero Club in their C172.

On the ground at an airstrip in the Awatere Valley, Dec 2017

Finally, there was nothing more that could be done to prepare. It was time to meet the 206.

ZK-MAF is the only MAF aircraft operating in New Zealand. It's mostly used for promotional flights and flight assessments, having been retired from over 12,000 hours of active service for MAF in Cambodia, Arnhem Land, and other places.
MAF pilot applicants have the option of doing a quick familiarisation flight (e.g. 1 hr) and then getting straight into the assessment, or having a few lessons and completing a formal type rating before being put through their paces. I chose to do the latter.

I arranged with the MAF instructor/assessor to spend two days learning the ropes before sitting the flight assessment on the morning of the third day. We had two short flights on the first day (general handling, and circuits), then after some dual check circuits on day two he allowed me to go out for some solo practise. After the first solo flight, I was struggling to come to grips with this enormous, powerful aircraft - with the gliding performance of a fridge - and was having serious doubts about my ability to fly it for an assessment. When I got back on the ground, I sat in it for a while and vented to God. He had brought me this far and I had done everything I could to prepare, but I didn't feel ready. Maybe I should just ask to finish the type rating and then go home, come back in a few months and try again? No, the Holy Spirit said, just go out after lunch for one more flight. I did that and felt a little better, but I knew that if I passed the assessment it would only be because God enabled me to.

I was given the assessment scenario that night, planned a couple of different routes, and committed the whole thing to God in prayer. The next morning I chose to begin the assessment by praying for our flight. As I started the engine I was filled with peace about what lay ahead, and as we were en route to our first location I actually felt like this was a real MAF flight and I was a real MAF pilot. A couple of hours later when we arrived back, I was almost sad that it had to end - I had enjoyed it that much!

What a lesson in doing things in God's strength (and not our own), using the abilities He has given us, in faith.
Oh, and by the way, I passed.

With ZK-MAF after passing the flight assessment

No comments:

Post a Comment