Follow my journey as I serve as a pilot with Mission Aviation Fellowship in Papua New Guinea.

Tuesday 4 October 2022

A surprise visit

I couldn't write anything about this earlier, for obvious reasons!

At the end of September I took my first international flight since arriving in PNG on a one-way ticket in January 2022 (while NZ still had compulsory hotel isolation requirements for everyone entering the country). I arrived in Wellington at midnight on Friday and laid low at a friend's house on Saturday.

Sunday was the big day - my mum was turning 70, and she had no idea that I was going to be there. My brother picked me up and we went to the restaurant that had been planned for lunch. The look on her face was priceless!

About 5 seconds after the surprise was sprung

After lunch we went to my brother's house for games and cake.

The celebrations weren't over - Mum had arranged for the whole family (minus me, but with inside knowledge I had bought a ticket on the same flight) to go to Dunedin for a few days.

Prior to the trip, my friend and I went for an easy overnight hike to Rangiwahia hut.

The hut sits just above the bush line

Sunrise colours on Mt Ruapehu

Hiking across tussock hills

Another view of Ruapehu


No comments:

Post a Comment