Follow my journey as I serve as a pilot with Mission Aviation Fellowship in Papua New Guinea.

Friday 28 January 2022

Week 1 & 2

My orientation has started at a steady pace, which has been good to allow time to adjust to new ways of doing things (both inside and outside the compound).

The first few days were spent with my link person, Sharlene, who showed me the quirks of my house and the compound I'm on, and took me to a selection of supermarkets in town. I've also had tours of the other four MAF compounds, two of which are next door, one a few blocks away, and another near the airport.

My compound - my unit is in the grey building,
upstairs on the right

So far the main thing that has been taking up time has been the intensive Tok Pisin language course - I'm very glad that I had been working through another introductory course since March last year, otherwise it would have completely overwhelmed me by now!

My Tok Pisin course materials

Here are some other photos from around town...

Typical pot-holed street once you get off the main road

Mt Hagen 'CBD'

People selling tomatoes at the market

Upmarket homewares store

Going for a walk with some other MAF folks
(Rondon ridge, overlooking Mt Hagen town)

2 comments:

  1. All looks good, a lit to take in I guess, especially with the language. Are your quarters comfortable?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, yes the house is quite comfortable and 'normal' inside!

      Delete