Follow my journey as I serve as a pilot with Mission Aviation Fellowship in Papua New Guinea.

Saturday 22 January 2022

Arrival at MAF PNG!

September 2021 had been initially proposed as my arrival date in PNG (based on me finishing work in Mareeba in July and taking 8 weeks for home assignment). Then it was moved to November, but with the hassles of getting an MIQ spot and me only arriving back in NZ in early October, it was decided that I should aim to arrive in mid-January (since my orientation would not be able to happen over Christmas, and the annual programme meetings are held in the first two weeks of January).

International travel is not what it used to be! In addition to booking flights, I also had to arrange for a pre-departure Covid test and make sure I had all the necessary paperwork: proof of vaccination, approval from the PNG Controller to enter the country, visa, work permit, etc. The limited flight schedules also meant that I had to stay overnight in Sydney and Port Moresby en route. In spite of all this - and no doubt because many people were praying - everything went as smoothly as could be expected, and I arrived in Mt Hagen on 18 Jan.

Unity within the team is something that Todd, the country director, has been leading and focusing on over the last few years, and I was given a very warm welcome by many of the staff and their families, who came to meet the plane. It's great to finally arrive, and when the rest of my stuff arrives (hopefully this week) I'll really be able to settle in to my new home.

Arrival at Port Moresby

Flying on MAF from Port Moresby to Mt Hagen

Being greeted by staff at Mt Hagen

Welcome bouquet

Welcome message

Welcome balloons

No comments:

Post a Comment