Follow my journey as I serve as a pilot with Mission Aviation Fellowship in Papua New Guinea.

Thursday 21 January 2021

Cyclone season

November to April is the time of year when we're most likely to get tropical cyclones forming that can affect Far North Queensland. Last week tropical cyclone Kimi formed off the coast of Cooktown and was initially making a beeline for Cairns.

Predicted track of TC Kimi on Sunday evening

On the afternoon of Sunday 17th I went to the airport with a few other MAFers to help secure the aircraft.

The following day I had to drive to Cairns for my aviation medical checkup. By that stage the cyclone was predicted to track south of Cairns before making landfall.

Road warning signs in Cairns

Rain radar on Monday morning. The 'hook' of yellow shows the position of the eye.

The cyclone tracked southeast along the coast, then reversed direction and tracked northwest before weakening. We had a little bit of rain in Mareeba but nothing like what was predicted, for which I am thankful.

TC Kimi reversing direction and weakening to a tropical low

No comments:

Post a Comment