Follow my journey as I serve as a pilot with Mission Aviation Fellowship in Papua New Guinea.

Wednesday 16 September 2020

VIP treatment

On Monday I had a flight to Oecusse. Going down I was taking two directors and three staff of an NGO. Then I had to wait for about 2 hrs before the return leg to Dili, because I had been asked to fly the President of Oecusse and four of his staff to Dili for a meeting at parliament. Naturally there was quite the fanfare at both ends of the flight. At Oecusse I was presented with a traditional tais wrap, which was most unexpected.

Wearing the tais wrap after the VIPs had gone

Tais wrap with traditional Oecusse design

The president was keen to sit in the front seat, so I let him. I found it mildly amusing that he kept nodding off on the way back. I took it as a compliment that my flying was smooth and he felt safe with me at the controls!

As we flew over Maubara I was able look down and see the house where Anton lived. He is the friend of Rob and Catharina whom we have visited a couple of times. His personal situation - health, finances, education, opportunities - was a million miles away from the man currently sitting (asleep) next to me. Yet he was just as precious in the eyes of God.

On arrival back in Dili we had to turn the plane around straightaway for a medevac at Viqueque. It was pretty bumpy coming back, thanks to the strong winds interacting with the mountains and thermals, so I was doing my best to fly smoothly. Was I trying just as hard as if the president of Oecusse was on board? I'd like to think that I was.

I do try to treat every passenger with respect. They are all equal in God's sight. They are all VIPs and deserve the same treatment.

No comments:

Post a Comment