Follow my journey as I serve as a pilot with Mission Aviation Fellowship in Papua New Guinea.

Saturday 29 August 2020

Events this week - including a bike race!

It's been a busy week this week!
On Monday we did an oil change (which took about 2.5 hrs) and then three medevac flights back-to-back.
On Tuesday another three medevac flights.
On Wednesday we were called to a medevac at Maliana, which I attempted but was unable to land due to the wind being too strong. By the time I got back to Dili it was pretty challenging there too. We had to decline a second medevac later in the day.
On Thursday it was still windy, so we had to cancel a charter flight in the morning, but I was able to do a flight in the afternoon.
On Friday I did two medevacs, which were bumpy but otherwise ok.

9 medevacs in total!

Then on Saturday I took part in the 'Referendo Cup' mountain bike race event. I took a shortcut and didn't do one of the massive hills - it was still pretty hard going. As one of the other cyclists said: "There are two types of fun - type 1 fun and type 2 fun. Type 1 fun is where it's fun while you're doing it. Type 2 fun is where it's horrible while you're doing it but afterwards you look back and say, 'Well that was fun.' Cycling in Timor is very much type 2 fun."

Here are some pictures.

Lots of keen cyclists at the start line

View from 'Antenna Ridge'

Church at Camea

At the finish line enjoying type 2 fun

No comments:

Post a Comment