Follow my journey as I serve as a pilot with Mission Aviation Fellowship in Papua New Guinea.

Tuesday 9 March 2021

A weekend in Port Douglas

Last weekend I decided to have a 'mini break' and go somewhere different - Port Douglas. It's a little over an hour's drive from Mareeba, depending which road you take.

I spent most of Saturday at Wildlife Habitat. Here are some pics:

Friendly rainbow lorikeets

Python

Spinifex hopping mouse (in the nocturnal house)

Crocodiles - male (left) and female (right). The female is just under 2 m long...

Crocodile feeding
(don't try this at home)

Kangaroo feeding

Joey having a drink

Same joey having a nap
(I'm so glad I'm not a kangaroo!!!)

Black-necked stork (formerly called jabiru) and pied herons keeping a safe distance

Cass, a female cassowary

Koala in its natural state (they sleep for 20 hours a day!)

Lumholtz tree kangaroo

Later that afternoon I wandered around the main street and up to the Flagstaff Hill lookout before checking in at the motel and then finding a local pub to have dinner.

In the morning I went down to the craft market and then started the drive back to Mareeba via the coast and Kuranda range.

Rex's lookout

I had a bit of time (due to forgetting to take my hiking boots, so I wasn't able to do the bush walk I had planned) so stopped in to visit the Butterfly Sanctuary in Kuranda instead.

Red lacewing butterfly

Common eggfly butterfly

Cairns birdwing (wingspan up to 18 cm!)

No comments:

Post a Comment