Follow my journey as I serve as a pilot with Mission Aviation Fellowship in Papua New Guinea.

Tuesday 9 June 2020

Arnhem Land ferry flight

Last Friday (5 June) I flew on Air North from Cairns to Gove, then spent all day Saturday flying a GA8 from the MAF base there back to Mareeba. Last December I had done a similar flight, only in reverse.

This time there were a number of Covid-related forms to fill in and procedures to follow, but apart from that it was uneventful. I won't say "boring", because an uneventful flight is what you want when you're covering 1500 km in a single day!

Here are some photos I took along the way.


Early morning start in Gove - at the airport around 6:15 local time

The obligatory en route selfie

Low cloud along the Gove peninsula

Cox River, near Borroloola

On the ground at Borroloola for the first refuelling stop

Flying along the coastline, Gulf of Carpentaria

At Burketown for the second refuelling stop

Continuing along the coast

My in-flight office

Featureless terrain between Normanton and Chillagoe

Back in Mareeba. I had left Gove about half an hour after the sun
rose, and arrived in Mareeba about half an hour before it set.


The total flight time was 7.8 hours - a bit longer flying eastwards than westwards due to the prevailing winds, but in saying that I did not have as much of a headwind as I was expecting given the forecast on the day. Doing these trips is all great experience to have and I'm not one to complain about 'having' to go flying!

No comments:

Post a Comment