Recently I spent four weeks in Telefomin delivering training to two of the pilots there. On the middle weekend I was invited on a day trip with the local church ladies' group. The plan was to drive from Telefomin on the newly constructed road that goes to Tabubil. We would go as far as the summit, where on a clear day it's possible to see all the way into the Western Province. The ladies kept talking about 'Eden Back', which I assumed was the back side of a mountain called Eden. It was only when we got to the top and our guide referred to 'Hindenberg' as being the name of the mountain range (which is what we pilots refer to it as) that I realised everyone was talking about the same thing.
It was also Christine's birthday, and she was keen to venture somewhere further afield. I am very aware that we pilots get to go to lots of different places as part of our day jobs, so although it was something different for me, it was extra special for her.
![]() |
| The ladies pray before we depart |
![]() |
| Old and new bridges crossing the Sepik river |
![]() |
| Sepik gorge |
![]() |
| Stopping to look at a steep bit of road where there have been accidents in the past |
![]() |
| Stopping to collect flowers |
![]() |
| Stopping at the top of the road, where we had hoped for a nice view... |
![]() |
| The ladies were determined to have morning tea in spite of the wet and cold |
![]() |
| Praying at the summit |
![]() |
| View of the Telefomin valley from a lookout on our way down |
![]() |
| Ol meri i amamas tru! (The ladies were very happy) |










No comments:
Post a Comment