Follow my journey as I serve as a pilot with Mission Aviation Fellowship in Papua New Guinea.

Monday 21 March 2022

Telefomin (part 2)

Day 3 - Church

On Sunday Vero and Joyce collected me and the three of us went to church. I really like the simplicity - people coming together to worship, hear the Word, and fellowship. There's no need for sound systems and gadgets!

I had previously been asked if I would be willing to share something, and had said yes. When the time came I introduced myself and described my family back in NZ, and then said that I wanted to share my favourite Bible verse. There was a big rustling sound as everyone got their Bibles out!

Isaiah 40:31
Tasol ol manmeri i bilip long Bikpela na i wetim em i helpim ol, ol bai i stap strong oltaim.
(But the people who believe in the Lord and wait for him to help them, they will always be strong.)

Na bai ol i flai olsem ol tarangau.
(They will fly like eagles.) 

Bai ol i ran na ol i no inap sotwin,
(They will run and not lose their breath) 

na bai ol i wokabaut na ol i no inap les.
(they will walk and not get tired)

The gist of my talk:
- It is God who strengthens us.
- Sometimes our faith is strong and we can fly.
- Sometimes we can’t fly anymore, but we can run.
- Sometimes we can’t even run, but we can still walk.
- In all these things it is God who strengthens us.

 The following day a man came up to me in the street, shook my hand vigorously and said, 'Isaiah 40 verse 31!' He obviously remembered it!

Day 4 - Hike to village

We had an early start amid low cloud and drizzle. However as the day went on and the cloud hung around, we were thankful for the cooler temperatures!

Making our way out of town we were asked again and again, 'Bilong wanem dispela waitmeri i karim bikpela bek?' (Why is the white lady carrying a big bag?) Joyce and Vero replied, 'Em meri bilong wokabaut' (she's a woman who walks). Even so, I was glad once we were out of town and by ourselves.

The trail dropped down into a steep gully where we crossed over a precarious bridge. While the base was solid the handrails were not much more than decoration! After I crossed, Joyce and Vero told me how another MAF lady who had come to scope out some of the activities I would do had refused to cross this bridge because she was too afraid. I was living up to my 'meri bilong wokabaut' reputation!

After that the road got progressively muddier and our progress was slow. We wound around the base of the mountains, from time to time catching glimpses back towards Telefomin. After 7 hours of walking we arrived at the village where we would be staying overnight. We were warmly greeted by the pastor and his wife, and gave them some food (rice, oil, salt, tinned fish - all items that are hard to come by in this area) to say thankyou. The rest of the afternoon/evening we spent relaxing - a short walk around the village, telling stories, a quick wash, dinner, bed.

Vero, Joyce and me at the start of our hike

Bridge

Much of the road was muddy like this

Meeting a group of ladies on the trail, walking the other way

Another bridge

Arriving at the village

Inside the pastor's house

2 comments:

  1. It was God who knew that your enthusiasm for hiking would be such a blessing in PNG!

    ReplyDelete
  2. May the Lord continue to bless you Bridget.

    ReplyDelete