Follow my journey as I serve as a pilot with Mission Aviation Fellowship in Papua New Guinea.

Monday 27 September 2021

A weekend in Townsville

Last weekend marked two weeks after I was booked to fly back to NZ. It was also my Mum's birthday. When it was looking unlikely that trans-Tasman travel would resume, I started looking at places to go if I was to take a road trip around Queensland.

Then I read that the All Blacks were playing the Springboks in Townsville (as a result of Queensland having low enough cases to host various sporting events). Although I'm not a massive rugby fan, it was an opportunity too good to pass up - especially when tickets were only $49 for a double header: New Zealand vs South Africa and Australia vs Argentina.

I logged into the MIQ lobby/lottery system on Monday morning and was allocated 11,139th in the queue. Naturally I missed out on a space. So I booked a ticket and set about booking accommodation - the only option being an unpowered site at a campground! Not to worry - I could survive a couple of nights in my tent.

I did a couple of walks while I was there (pics below). If the aquarium had been open I would have paid a visit, but it is closed for renovations until 2023!

Friday

Old shopfronts on Flinders St in Townsville

Going for a walk along the Strand

Kissing Point fort

Saturday

View from Mt Marlow (Many Peaks track - a bit of a
misnomer as the track sidled around the hill to the top)

At the stadium nice and early for the game(s)

Capacity crowd, messy game

Sunday

View of Magnetic Island from Castle Hill

No comments:

Post a Comment