Follow my journey as I serve as a pilot with Mission Aviation Fellowship in Papua New Guinea.

Monday 11 February 2019

Tararua tramping

Last week had fantastic weather, so my best friend and I took a couple of days off work and went tramping. We'd actually had this planned for a while - as I learned at Transition Training, it's important to plan some 'last time' activities. So this was our last time tramping together, for now.

The track we chose was from Holdsworth to Kaitoke. This follows the Waiohine and Tauherenikau river valleys, so is generally quite an easy walk and under the trees most of the time. It also holds significance for the two of us, since it was the very first multi-day walk we did together, back in January 2014. We found it a lot easier this time! I guess 5 more years of experience and walking well over 1000 km together will do that for you. It was great to be able to reminisce and to create new memories.

Crossing the Waiohine river, just before Totara Flats

One of my favourite huts - Totara Flats

Totara Flats looking north, day two

A tricky bit of track

Tutuwai Hut

Crossing the Tauherenikau river

No comments:

Post a Comment