Follow my journey as I serve as a pilot with Mission Aviation Fellowship in Papua New Guinea.

Monday 17 September 2018

Strip flying practise

Last week was pretty good weather so on Saturday I decided to try taking the aero club's Piper Cub for a short hop over to the Kaitoke airstrip for some landing practise. The Kaitoke airstrip is about 600 m long and has a decent slope on it - not too dissimilar from the types of strips that MAF flies into. It's been a while since I tried landing with a tailwind so that was a bit of a challenge (for this strip, landing uphill with a tailwind is easier than landing downhill with a headwind). But I managed ok, and successfully brought the plane back to Paraparam in one piece!

Here are a couple of photos of the view landing on the airstrip, compared with landing on the grass runway at a 'real' aerodrome.

Landing on the Kaitoke airstrip

Landing back at Paraparam
A view of me landing from the outside (taken at Foxpine on a different day)

No comments:

Post a Comment